James R. Schirott retired as a partner with Schirott, Luetkehans & Garner, LLC, where he engaged in litigation in state and federal courts on both the trial and appellate levels. Mr. Schirott is a member of the Illinois State, Chicago, and DuPage County Bar Associations, the Bar Association of the Seventh Federal Circuit, the United States District Court Trial Bar, the Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association, and the Illinois Trial Lawyers Association. He received his B.S.M.E. from Indiana Institute of Technology and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law School.
PRACTICE: Retired partner of the law firm of Schirott, Luetkehans & Garner, LLC. Engaged in corporate, municipal and litigation in state and federal courts on both the trial and appellate levels.
PERSONAL: Resident of Cable, Wisconsin.
EDUCATION: Juris Doctor with Honors — JohnMarshallLawSchool, Chicago, Illinois. Graduated first in class. Executive Editor of the John Marshall Law Review. Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Indiana Institute of Technology.
MEMBERSHIPS: Bar Association of the Seventh Federal Circuit; United States District Court Trial Bar; Appellate Lawyers Association of Illinois; Illinois State Bar Association; Wisconsin State Bar Association; Illinois Trial Lawyers Association; Chicago Bar Association; DuPage County Bar Association; Gavel Society of John Marshall Law School.
ADMITTED: Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States; State of Illinois Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit; United States District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois; Supreme Court of the State of Wisconsin; Supreme Court of Iowa.
- Trial Diplomacy — Teacher’s Edition (1973) (Co-Author).
- Municipal Law & Practice in Illinois, Tort and Civil Rights Liability, IICLE, (1994)
- IllinoisSchool Law, Tort Liability, IICLE (1993 Supplement).
- Civil Rights Act: A Close Look at Proper Parties, 18 Trial Law Guide 105 (1974).
- Vicarious Liability Under the Civil Rights Act: A Defense Point of View, 9 Akron L. Rev. 69 (1974).
- Judicial Immunity Under the Civil Rights Act: Here Comes the Judge’s Defenses, 7 J. Marshall L. Rev. 213 (1974).
- False Arrest: Good Faith — A Defense to Section 1983 Actions, 615 INS. L.J. 213 (1974), reprinted, 2 Police L.Rep. 3-1 (1975) (International Association of Chiefs of Police, Inc.).
- Trial of a Constructive Trust Case, 17 TRIAL LAW GUIDE 7 (1973).
- Piercing the Corporate Veil: Dispelling the Myths of Metaphor, 17 TRIAL LAW. GUIDE 121 (1973).
- Lie Detectors — Admissibility Upon Stipulation, 4 J. MARSHALL L. Rev. 244 (1971).
- Enter the Video Tape Trial, 3 J. MARSHALL L. REV. (1970), reprinted,, INS. L. J. (August 1970), INT’L SOC’Y OF BARRISTERS Q. (Summer, 1971), MELVIN BELLI’S TORT TRENDS (1971) (Research only).
- Risk Management Manual — CountyOfficials’ Handbook to Avoid Liability, published by the State’s Attorneys Appellate Prosecutor (1988).
- Co-author of the bi-weekly newspaper column In Federal Court for the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (1973-1991).
- LECTURES: Presentations throughout the country on problems faced by local government, including the following sponsors:
- Administrative Office of the Illinois Courts;
- American Bar Association 1989 National Convention;
- American Public Works Association;
- DuPage County Bar Association;
- Ford Foundation Speaker to the United Nations National Committee on United States-China Relations;
- Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police;
- Illinois Association of Park Districts;
- Illinois Bar Association;
- Illinois Public Officials Association;
- IllinoisState’s Attorney’s Association;
- Indiana Association of Cities and Villages;
- National Public Risk & Insurance Management Association;
- National Safety Council;
- Rhode Island League of Cities & Towns;
- Texas Bar Association;
- Texas Municipal League;
- Urban Counties Council; and
- Wisconsin Association of Counties.
MISCELLANEOUS: Listed in 1985 edition of Who’s Who in American Law; Recipient 1988 John Marshall Distinguished Alumni Award, JohnMarshallLawSchool.